Gold Coast Family Law Firm
Any legal proceedings which affect a family are dealt under family law. It deals with issues like cohabitation, adoption, child custody cases and marriage annulments or divorces. It is basically about family relationships and include all of the above mentioned.
There are very few states which offer legal protection for couples who cohabit together as if they are actually married. Offering legal protection for cohabiting couples offers help against domestic violence. It offers availability of protection orders from the court in case one of the partners is being stalked or physically abused.
There is also legal protection for married couples as well. It is universal unlike cohabitation laws which pertain to certain cities or states only.
Family law also helps protects the rights of people going through a divorce, fighting a child custody battle and marriage annulments.
- Separation proceedings. There are several states which allow married couples on the brink of separation to commence formal separation proceedings. Couples can proceed with orders for dividing of assets and child custody.
- For people who want to end their marriage, divorce proceedings can be carried out as well. Divorce would also include a division of assets and child custody and deciding a parenting time for their children.
- There is also an option for third party visitation rights in which step parents or grandparents can vouch for some time with a minor child.
- Child support orders. Parents who have separate households can ask the court for child support order. This requires one parent to offer child support to help bring up the child.
- Paternity suits. This man entitle a presumed father of the child to be recognized by the court. A paternity suit can be filed by the father, mother of even the minor child himself.
- Family law also pertains to adoption proceedings. Adoption laws allow couple to carry out adoption of children. In some cases it even pertains t adoption of adult children.
- Child protective proceedings are also a part of family law. It helps offer protection for children who have been neglected or abused by their care givers. This would mean taking the child away from the parents or the guardians on account of the mistreatment of the child. The state has every right to take away a child they feel is unsafe with anyone. The children are then sent for foster care. Then further action is taken for either reuniting the family or complete termination of parental rights.
All cases of the above mentioned family issues require the intervention of a family lawyer. Often a simple divorce might become messy when both parties are unwilling to compromise on the division of assets. The right layer can help make the process smoother and avoid setbacks which can be both emotionally and financially draining for the couple.
It is important to find the right family lawyer. This can only be done by referring to a family law firm in Gold Coast.
For more information on family law firm make sure you contact a legal professional.